Google Real Alaskan Adventures in the Wild of Alaska: The Re-Distribution of Bill

The Re-Distribution of Bill



For many year's I have noticed that people in Alaska have a tendency to opt for being turned to ashes when they transition instead of the traditional Lower 48 method. Most REAL Alaskans are all non-conformists; it's not just me.


I was ask one time to spread the ashes of some poor wife's husband. She wanted him flown over the mountains he loved so, and then dump the urn containing his ashes. Who can say no to a grieving widow? So I obliged.




The flight was fine but a little mist of rain did begin as I got back in the mountains a bit. The widow had opted to stay behind and wait for the return of the urn. I'm glad she did.


Not many people do this sort of thing, so there are no practiced procedures. You just open the little side wing on the Super Cub and give the ashes a heave. Sounds easy till the 85 mph wind hits that urn! The cockpit got a good dusting of old Bill. In addition to the mess, I have no way to clean it up before I land- can't call housekeeping!


I got ashes in my clothes, mouth, eyes as well as my hair. Never felt so close to a fellow...never did it again either!


I dusted off the inside of the dash, side windows, shoulder straps, and my clothes on the way back to the landing strip. Sure enough, I could see her standing right where I had left her. I quickly decided to taxi over to the fuel depot and get ready for fuel, that would give me time to walk to her and do one last "lookover".


I walked the urn over to her, still knocking off dust I had missed along the way. She thanked me so much.


She said, "Bill would be happy now".


Happy, I bet he was laughing his ass off!


I am glad the good deed did not go sour. It surely would have if I had taxied the plane over to her. She would have surely passed out!


You see, that little mist of rain I spoke of in the mountains had collected some of the ashes and it caked up on the side and tail section of the plane. There's no way she would have missed seeing that!


I am sure some of that dust is still embedded in the fabric of that plane. What a nice send off, for ole Bill! Beats any funeral I've heard of.